About Me

I am many things, a wife, a mother, a friend, a follower and a photographer. This blog is to highlight my photography and parts of my life through photography.Photography is a great passion of mine but does not eclipse my relationships with my Lord, my husband, or my boys. If you are interested in my photography and would like more information, check out my website www.ckoop.com
I am a Calgary-based life photographer that captures your "life moments"- your wedding, engagement, family, high school graduation or just because photos. Check out the blog for previous wedding, engagement and family photo sessions. Check out my photography website to see more www.ckoop.com




Monday, October 22, 2012

The girl across the street - The Norton Family - Calgary Family Photographer


The doorbell rang in the middle of a rainy summer afternoon and who was at the door but Little Milla Miller (aka. Aaron/Bucky).  "You have to come see this right away!!".... Nikki, Jenny and I hesitantly followed Aaron out the door. You see.....depending on the day we could be hanging out playing something with Aaron or be in the middle of feud that involved hurling rotten crab apples at each other across the street from our perches in the trees. But....he then said...."Miranda wants to show you something." Yup...he said the magic word...Miranda. You see Miranda was Aaron's sister and well...to be honest....I kinda secretly stalked Miranda. She was about 4 years older than me and well...I idolized her. There...it's now out there...yes I IDOLIZED MIRANDA!!!

Anyways, back to my story....so we ran across the street with Aaron and followed him up the 2 flights of stairs to their attic.  He was being strangely quiet as we walked up the last flight and whispered..."be careful!".  The attic door creaked open and there stood Miranda in the dimly lit room with her eyes wide open staring at a rocking chair. (okay I do have to admit here that I was kinda surprised that she was looking so intently at a rocking chair, but whatever..it was MIRANDA!!). "Look!" she said. "The rocking chair is rocking on it's own...I think our attic is haunted!" 

So let me stop here for a minute and just say that you need to remember that I had Nik and Jen with me and given that they were younger of course fled the room screaming in terror as they saw the rocking chair moving on it's own with Miranda and Aaron standing beside us.  I'm really not too sure if I was frozen in terror or skepticism.  But it took me only a few more seconds before I realized that there was a string attached to the chair leading to a laundry hamper.  I followed the string and opened the hamper to see Lori gently pulling the string to make the chair rock. "BUSTED!"  I must admit I was torn on whether to be hurt or honoured that they chose me to trick. Anyways, no hard feelings but it's definitely something I've never forgotten!

Yes, I loved that Miranda was my neighbour and that I got to visit with her at random moments.  I remember feeling so honoured that she invited my family to her graduation celebration.  I still remember that red flamenco inspired grad gown.  Coincidentally I too had a shiny red grad gown.....no I didn't copy her...totally coincidence.

The Miller family were a big part of my childhood and I am so thankful for that. Visits in the yard, crab apple fights across the street, early bird swimming, street hockey...all with the Millers.  That's why I was so excited when Miranda asked if I was available to shoot her family photos when I was in Regina over Thanksgiving.  Of course I was available!  

And of course it was the coldest and windiest day of the whole Thanksgiving weekend that we had scheduled photos, but the Norton family totally put up with it!  I had a great time at Wascana Park in Regina capturing their family and getting to know them and catch up a little bit.  Miranda hadn't changed one bit. Miranda, you have a lovely family, I sure did enjoy myself!

I hope you enjoy the images!  If you're looking for some new shots for your wall, contact me!

carly@ckoop.com
c koop photography website
Facebook 








See? Hasn't changed....except she's not wearing her shiny red grad dress!

I love this image of Miranda.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, she has NOT changed at all - still that beautiful smile - I can hear her laughing!! So many great memories of the Millers - I tell Bucky stories to the kids sometimes:) Miranda - you have not aged a day!!
thanks for sharing Carly - i remember the rocking chair - did not want to go back into their house for a loooooong time!
Love ya
Nik

Buckrogers said...

Fantastic story Carleen. Transported me back in time, thanks so much. I blame Hollywood for that childish stunt. I am so happy you married a man of God.

Since you confessed I won't let you do it alone. I've always looked up to your Dad and what the ballentines stood for. I knew He was special in a way that as a child it was hard to fully grasp or understand, but Now that I've put a few years in and made a few mistakes, "understatement of the century". I can see now what my spirit felt than. He was and is a servant to God first. A shining light for us to see. As a somewhat innocent child my soul new this. I knew God blessed us with your family that would last a lifetime. Now I don't want to pump your tires to much but just enough to let you know that you did things the right way, Gods way. I now thank you God for your example of obedience, faithfulness, and long suffering against the adversary and his temptations. You had on your armor of God this did not go unnoticed. May Gods favor and blessings always be upon the Ballentines, for they Loved our God with all their hearts minds and souls. Gods ways are so much higher than ours.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:16

Buckrogers said...

I am so happy you are hanging out with Miranda and the Norton boys it sure shows prayers do get answered in ways only God could come up with. If all this has you in shock don't worry I am still very much a work in progress and if it were not for God's grace and mercy Oh My soul....here is a musical treat that soothes my soul and praises our God.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever 111:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijytLs96yig&feature=autoplay&list=PLeyFROCHB_ZdSH6lYCRGPTl2TjRM_-Snp&playnext=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ivRf_z0dE