About Me

I am many things, a wife, a mother, a friend, a follower and a photographer. This blog is to highlight my photography and parts of my life through photography.Photography is a great passion of mine but does not eclipse my relationships with my Lord, my husband, or my boys. If you are interested in my photography and would like more information, check out my website www.ckoop.com
I am a Calgary-based life photographer that captures your "life moments"- your wedding, engagement, family, high school graduation or just because photos. Check out the blog for previous wedding, engagement and family photo sessions. Check out my photography website to see more www.ckoop.com




Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Picture Tree

There was a great tree at the end of the sidewalk at my house growing up. It had a great branch that hung over the walk, you could sit there and pester anyone walking by, or just hang out and think. I loved that tree. That tree is an integral part of my life when you look back over photos. You see that tree was the 1st day of school tree - yup - every September my two sisters and I would get all dolled up for that 1 hour and 45 minutes of school. But before we headed down the 1 block it took to get to school, we'd stop for a photo or 20. Mom would bring out Dad's Konica SLR (note no digital infront of that SLR!!) and have us each stand individually infront of the tree and then the three of us together. Those photos were full of smiles, big hoopy earrings, logoed sweaters, rolled up bluejeans, hugs and lots of memories. That tree was such an important part of my childhood that I had a few photos taken infront of it the afternoon of my wedding. You got it - there I was standing in front of that tree. Gone was the red Club Monaco sweater and huge green and red plaid hoop earrings and in place was a long white billowing dress with a bunch of tulle in my hair holding a bouquet smiling even more widely then I did as a child. That tree was huge!


And today I found myself on the other side of the camera taking photos of my two sons infront of our very own picture tree. I got caught up in the moment realizing that time had gotten away on me again and there was nothing I could do to get it back. Shooting infront of that tree gave me pause and made me evaluate how I'm spending my time with my boys. Now the tree doesn't have that great branch that hangs over the walk, but it's got it's own great qualities. It has great hiding possibilities and provides a different kind of hanging out. All in all, it's a great tree!


Time has moved quickly for me - I actually saw the old tree a few weeks earlier on a trip back to my childhood town. It's still there and still looks just as good as it ever did. I wonder if the new photo tree will stand as long?

1 comment:

Larry and Joan said...

ok - Carly!! you got me crying! And, crying! thanks for getting me to take a trip down memory lane! That tree and those years went by far too fast. Cherish the time and moments with the boys - cause far too soon you will be on the side that i now find myself on. Huge hugs and lots of love - Mom