About Me

I am many things, a wife, a mother, a friend, a follower and a photographer. This blog is to highlight my photography and parts of my life through photography.Photography is a great passion of mine but does not eclipse my relationships with my Lord, my husband, or my boys. If you are interested in my photography and would like more information, check out my website www.ckoop.com
I am a Calgary-based life photographer that captures your "life moments"- your wedding, engagement, family, high school graduation or just because photos. Check out the blog for previous wedding, engagement and family photo sessions. Check out my photography website to see more www.ckoop.com




Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Remember When......Hearing stories were the best ever?

"Mom....can you please play with my hair and tell me a story about when you were little?" is a question I hear almost every night at bedtime.  Aahhhh, stories from long long ago huh? ;-)  Those ancient days where there were no t.v. remotes, no cell phones and music was played on a walkman....those days?  There are some nights where I am scratching my head trying to think of a story that they haven't heard before.....or hasn't been shared recently.  Some nights I skip the story and just sing a song while playing with their hair....kind of a relaxing way to fall asleep I must admit!  But...if I do have a story it usually revolves around family vacations or living on the farm.  Garth and I have now decided to record our stories in a journal so they have something to look back on.  Stories from our childhoods are included and I hope to include stories that involve them too.

I totally relate to the desire to hear about how things were for me growing up.  I can remember sitting on the floor of my grandparents living room listening to stories as a child.  How so and so scared the pee out of someone else by hiding in the hay and jumping out at the most opportune moment.  Anytime I go to visit my grandparents it always includes me firing off a pile of questions about their childhood so I can learn more about who they are.  Stories are so important, which is why I love that I get to record stories with my camera!

How cool was it then that Tys and Ry got to see the actual farm I share with them every night.  I was pretty excited knowing they were going to see the old travel trailer that I used to play in and run around the veranda and play in the trees surrounding the yard like I did.  Fiction comes to life!  Okay maybe not fiction because all the stories I told were true (or at least to my memory!!).  So imagine my disappointment when they really could have cared less about seeing exactly where I played what.  The final destination of grandpa and grandma's house was way better than wandering around through the tall grass just to see a broken down mess of what was once the world's greatest fort?  So they didn't want to see the real life details of the stories, but it doesn't stop them from asking to hear about the best stories ever.

I felt it was important to catch these few shots of where I grew up because this house is super old and you never know when it will come down.  Trespassing was involved and even though they said beware of dog, no dogs were injured in the taking of these photos!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Does this ever take me back!! When did you do these?? Oh, the old trailer, with the old dishes in them....we had so many great times in that old thing....did we get tetanus shots at that age?? I know I wasn't very old when we left, but i do remember so many great things about that place...right down to the fancy chandelier in the living room, and the skunk in the basement...that was after we left wasn't it?? Oh, so good...good idea also for writing them down in a journal....I need to do that, or scrapbook some of the old memories before i forget them:)Love Nik

Cosmetic Surgery for Men said...

That house is oddly beautiful, despite the fact that it's run-down. It looks like something out of a Hemingway novel.